Welcome to the Health Room!
It is a very fun and exciting time to be the school nurse here at Challenger Intermediate School.
My priority is to keep the students safe and healthy throughout the school day. Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding your students health concerns. I am always here to help and listen.
Below are the guidlines we follow to help keep our school clean and safe! Along with forms needed to help me provide the best care to your student.
Medication at School
If your student takes a prescription medication at school, new paperwork needs to be filled out each school year which includes a signature from your child’s doctor.
Vision and Hearing
During the school year, I will perform vision and hearing tests on all sixth graders and any fifth graders new to the district. Parents of students not passing these screenings will be sent a letter of referral. Please respond to these referrals by returning the note, by phone call, or email.
After an illness, your student should be fever free (below 99.6) for 24 hours without the aid of a fever reducing medication before returning to school.
Parents may be contacted to come and pick up their child during the day if the student becomes ill.
1. if there is a temperature of 99.6 degrees with symptoms, such as headache, sore throat, nausea/vomiting, rashes.
2. if there is a temperature of 100.4 degrees with no symptoms. The student should remain home until the temperature has been normal for 24 hours without the aid of medication.
3. pink eye – students with pink eye shall be excluded from school until 24 hours after treatment has started.
4. head lice – If a child is found to have head lice, the parent will be called to come to the school and pick up the student. The student will not be allowed to ride the bus or return to the classroom until checked by the school nurse and found to be free of lice.
5. all injuries which result in unusual swelling, discoloration, or pain.
6. cuts which appear to require stitches.
7. dental injuries.